Pre-Departure Important Information

Section 1 - Your Booking

Your holiday documentation : Once you have made a booking we will send you a written confirmation invoice.  It is your responsibility to check this carefully and if there are any errors or you are in any doubt regarding any aspect of your holiday then contact us straight away.  Approximately two weeks before your departure we will send the party leader by email a travel pack which will include your flight itinerary, accommodation, transportation and ski extras details.

General changes to your holiday : If you have to alter your holiday arrangements before you depart then this will incur charges as set out in our Booking Conditions.  If you change your holiday after departure then there may be additional costs which you will be asked to pay locally.  Please also be aware that many of our contracts with suppliers do not allow for refunds on bookings that have been altered or cancelled without giving considerable notice.  Refunds will generally not be provided for unused ski extras, car rental, transfers, flight tickets or for no-shows or curtailment of your accommodation booking.  However, you may be able to make a claim on your travel insurance if you have to cut short your holiday due to injury, for example.

Changes to your flights : Airlines do not allow name changes for reasons of security.  If you wish to transfer a holiday to another person, this will usually require payment of all costs and charges incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers, together with an amendment fee of £25.00 per person.  If you have taken advantage of group rates and a cancellation occurs taking you below the requisite number for a group, airlines require full payment of the cancelled flights.  In this instance, cancellation costs as per our Booking Conditions will apply and we will recalculate the balance of the holiday accordingly.  If you have taken advantage of special flight offers, you will be required to pay the usual deposit plus the full flight cost at the time of booking.  If you subsequently cancel your holiday, cancellation charges apply and you will forfeit the cost of the flight.

Please note that if you independently cancel a sector of your flight or you are a “no show” for any sector of your flight, the airline will cancel all other sectors.  For example, if you are unable to take your outbound flight booked through Ski Safari and book another single outbound flight independently, the airline will assume a no show on the original outbound flight and will subsequently cancel the original inbound flight.  Please contact us if you wish to make such changes.  If you are delayed en-route to the airport and think you may miss your flight please contact your airine to advise them.  This must be done before your flight departs to avoid you being classed as a “no show”.

Please note that if an airline has imposed a minimum night stay restriction in your destination country, you will not be able to reduce your stay to below the requisite number of nights.

Travel insurance : It is vital that you have travel insurance that covers you for skiing to all destinations plus any other activities that you wish to participate in.  If you have insurance we advise that you check with your insurer to make sure cover is adequate and that it provides cover, where applicable, for off-piste skiing, free-riding, mountain rescue and hospitalisation costs.  Please note that although your policy may include off-piste skiing, this often does not cover off-piste skiing outside the resort boundary.  If you intend to do this you should ensure that your insurance company provides additional cover.  If you are planning to undertake any specific winter activities, such as snowmobiling, cat-skiing or heli-skiing, you should check to see if the activity is covered by your insurance.  If you do not have insurance at the time of booking we recommend that you arrange this as soon as possible so that you are covered in case you have to cancel, due to illness for example.  We do not sell insurance ourselves.  Please note that insurance provided by credit card companies and banks often has limited cover.  Please check at the time of booking that the cover provided by such a policy is adequate.  Please note Ski Safari cannot be held responsible or liable in any way for customers who fail to take out adequate travel insurance.  Please let us know the policy details for each member of your group prior to departure, including the policy number, the name of the insurer and their 24 hour contact number.

Car rental : Your car rental will be booked for a certain number of days as set out in your holiday confirmation.  Day 1 is the 24 hour period following the collection time of the vehicle, with subsequent 24 hour periods counting as further days.  In order to avoid being charged locally for additional days, it is important to return the car at the same time as, or before, the time at which the vehicle was collected.

Your rental car will be booked in the name of the party leader on your booking unless we are told otherwise at the time of booking.  If more than one vehicle is being booked we will need to know your preferred driver name for each vehicle.  The named driver/s will be required to present their UK driving licence, both the photocard and a copy of the licence summary page showing the licence check code allowing the supplier to see your licence details, and a valid credit card in their own name (NB debit cards are not accepted for this).  If you wish to have more than one person able to drive we recommend you book an upgraded car rental package.  This would include one or more additional drivers and a tank of fuel (so you can return the car empty).  This is cheaper than adding additional drivers at the airport and paying locally.  Underage driver charges apply for drivers aged 24 and under, payable locally when you pick up the car.  The minimum driver age is 21.

Our standard car rentals include rental charge, Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance, Liability Insurance, tax and mileage.  Please note that in common with most car rentals, damage to glass, tyres and the underside of the car is not covered by the insurance.  You will be offered locally other optional products such as insurance top-ups, Personal Effects and Personal Accident insurance (which may be covered by your general travel insurance policy), and a fuel purchase option.  If you do decide to accept any of these optional charges you will pay for them locally.  You will also be charged locally for items such as airport fees, ski racks, sat nav systems, baby seats, tolls and one way rental fees, if applicable.

NB - Car hire companies will not guarantee the availability of a particular vehicle.  All cars are booked by group and the car shown on your voucher is for guidance only and may be substituted for an alternative similar car.  In particular, please note that SUV-style vehicles can be 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive; the availability of a 4 wheel drive vehicle cannot be guaranteed.  With the exception of rentals in Scandinavia, winter/snow tyres are not included, cannot be pre-booked and may not be available.  If you take an upgrade locally in order to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle or a vehicle fitted with winter/snow tyres, the charge must be agreed, signed for and paid locally and will not be refunded.

NB - you MUST check the rental agreement carefully before signing as any charges signed for will not be refunded.  The agreement may be on a screen or you may be given a printed copy.

Transfers and child seats : Unless you have specifically booked a private transfer then transfers will be shared with other travellers who are arriving or departing around the same time as you.  Transfers are not booked exclusively for Ski Safari customers, many are scheduled services running to a published timetable.  If your incoming flight is delayed, the transfer will not wait for you and you will have to wait for the next available departure.  Transfer vehicles may not be fitted with seat belts, so if this is a concern then we must be made aware before departure.  Where they are fitted they must be used.  Equally, child and infant seats are not routinely provided and certain transfer vehicle types do not have the means to secure seats.  Please discuss any requirements you may have with us and we will do our best to accommodate them.  If we have to make changes to your transfer arrangements as a result then additional charges may be incurred.

If you or members of your party will be taking your own ski equipment, please let us know so that we can book a vehicle with sufficient luggage space.  Please note that skis may have to be carried inside the vehicle – external racks are not always available.

Ski extras (lift passes, rentals, lessons and activities) : We have negotiated rates for our customers on these items for most resorts and strongly recommend that you book them at least four weeks prior to departure to ensure that we can process your order and send the documentation to you.  If you wish to have lessons then is it imperative that you pre-book to be assured of space, especially for children’s programmes, over peak season dates and for all lessons in Scandinavia.  We suggest booking as soon as you have confirmed your booking.  Please note that we cannot guarantee availability.

Check-in and nights in residence : Check-in times are usually around 4pm, checkout times between 10am and 12 noon on the day of departure.  Therefore, if you check in immediately after a night flight this would normally count as one night’s accommodation.  Similarly, if your return flight is at night you will normally be required to vacate your room by 12 noon prior to leaving for the airport.  Day rooms are subject to availability/cost and should be arranged locally.

Local representation : As most of our customers are independent travellers, we do not have local representatives in the resorts that we offer. Consequently, we encourage you to book any lift passes, rentals, lessons and activities that you require before you depart.  We have an emergency phone in the UK which is manned 24/7 throughout the season should you require urgent assistance, the details for which are provided in your holiday documentation.

Section 2 - Other Charges/Costs That Are Not Included in Your Holiday Cost

Ground transportation : Transfers are usually provided from your airport of arrival to as close as possible to your accommodation in resort and back to the airport at the end of your stay.  If you are having a city stay as part of your trip, then a transfer is not usually provided between your city hotel and the airport, unless noted on your holiday confirmation invoice.  For example if you are skiing in Whistler with a city stay in Vancouver at the end of your holiday, then the transfer would be provided from Vancouver Airport to Whistler and then back to your hotel in Vancouver.  You can make your own arrangements between the hotel in Vancouver and the airport, or we can book a private transfer for you at additional cost.  If your transfer departs from a city centre, then a transfer is not usually provided between the airport and the city centre.  For example in Bergen, trains to Geilo depart from the city centre and you will make your own arrangements between the airport and the city centre.

If you are on a self-drive holiday only the cost of the rental car will be included.  If you have to take other forms of transportation, notably the ferry to Vancouver Island, this is payable locally.  Please see the section above on car rental for further information on costs.

Park fees : Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper are located inside Banff and Jasper National Parks.  Visitors entering the parks by rental vehicle are required to purchase a park entry permit, available at park gates and visitor centres.  The fees at the current time are as follows :


  • $10.50 for 1 adult (approx. £6.50)
  • $21.00 for up to seven people, regardless of age, arriving in a single vehicle (approx. £13)

ANNUAL PASSES – these cover all Canada’s National Parks and may be cheaper for longer stays :

  • $72.25 for 1 adult (approx. £45)
  • $145.25 for up to seven people, regardless of age, arriving in a single vehicle (approx. £90)

Parking charges : If you are on a self-drive holiday there may be parking charges at some hotels.  These charges are payable locally and are generally about $15-40 per night in the US and Canada or CHF 15-30 per night in Switzerland and KR 150 per night in Scandinavia.  Parking is not generally charged for by smaller hotels or those in less busy ski resorts, but most hotels in the larger resorts do.

Resort fees : Some properties charge a daily resort fee, typically £12-20, to cover parking, WiFi, etc.  For some properties, notably in Las Vegas, Hawaii and some in Switzerland, this is not included and must be paid locally.

Toll roads in Norway : Many roads have tolls.  Rental cars are fitted with an automatic system allowing you to drive straight through.  Tolls are charged to the vehicle and will be deducted from the credit card you used to secure your rental.  You should expect to pay a minimum of approximately £30 in tolls, depending on the route taken and the use of the vehicle during your stay.


Section 3 - Flights and Airlines

Airline websites and on-line services : Most airlines offer a range of services through their websites which can greatly enhance your flight experience, for example up to date flight information, meal and seating requests and on-line and telephone check-in.  We strongly recommend that you use these services.  You may also be able to provide the required API (Advance Passenger Information) on-line, see Section 4 below.  For flight itineraries using more than one airline, you may need to check-in with each airline separately.  Ask for through boarding passes and for luggage to be checked through to your final destination.  If your flight itinerary involves flights through/into two countries (for example London-Norway-Sweden) you will need to claim and recheck your luggage at your first arrival point.

Baggage allowances :  Baggage allowances are often changed, in particular with respect to hand and hold luggage and sporting equipment.  For flight itineraries using more than one airline, baggage rules usually apply based on the first operating carrier you are checking-in with on each journey.  We advise that you check your airline’s website and/or your e-ticket prior to departure for the latest information on baggage allowances and hand luggage restrictions.  Please note that most airlines now charge for second bags and ski/snowboard carriage.  If you exceed the luggage allowance, you will be liable for excess baggage charges.

Please note that ALL airlines flying into and out of the UK do not accept any bags weighing more than 32kgs.  Any baggage item in excess of the maximum 32kgs, on all routes, will be subject to re-packing or refusal of carriage and applicable excess baggage charges will be levied.

Luggage handling : The US authorities search bags that go through the hold and if the bags are locked they will break the locks - and possibly cause damage to the bag.  The security agency in the US - the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) - is not liable for any locks broken, so you may want to secure your cases with ties as the TSA will replace these.  There are also specific locks you can buy that the TSA can open and re-lock.  For more information see

Delayed baggage : If your bags do not arrive, report the loss to the airline at the airport.  Do not leave the airport until the loss has been registered and you have been given a property irregularity report (PIR) or case number per bag.

Meal requests : Any meal requests made on your booking information form will be made by us on your behalf.  Any subsequent meal requests should be submitted to us in writing.  Please note that requests cannot be guaranteed.  Nut allergies - airlines do not guarantee that products offered on board their flights will be nut free and do not provide nut free meals.  We suggest you take your own food and that you contact the airline direct if your allergy is severe.

Seating and airline contact information : Airlines release only a certain number of seats for pre-allocation on each flight, the remainder being allocated on check-in.  Unfortunately we are not able to do seating for you.  However you can do this directly with the airline either by phone, or in some cases on their website, quoting your flight locator (given on your holiday confirmation invoice).  It may only be possible to book seats once your flights have been paid for in full and ticketed.  Many airlines charge a fee for booking seats.  Please note that airlines reserve the right to amend seating requests and to change aircraft types and schedules without notice.

Airline Calling in the UKCalling when abroad
Air Canada00 800 669 92222 ( 888 247 2262
Air France0207 660 0337 ( UK number
American Airlines0207 660 2300 ( 800 433 7300
British Airways03444 930 787 ( 203 250 0145
Delta Airlines0207 660 0767 ( 800 241 4141
Easyjet0330 551 5151 ( UK number
Icelandair020 7874 1000 ( UK number
JAL0207 660 0348 ( 025 121
KLM0871 231 0000 ( UK number
Lufthansa0371 945 9747 ( UK number
Norwegian0330 828 0854 ( - +47 214 90 015
Sweden - +46 770 457 700
Ryanair01279 358 395 ( UK number
SAS 0207 660 6876 ( - +47 218 96 400
Sweden - +46 7770 727727
Swiss0345 601 0956 ( 848 700700
United Airlines 0845 607 6760 ( 800 864 8331
Virgin Atlantic 0344 874 7747 ( 800 862 8621
Westjet0800 279 7072 ( 888 937 8538
Wideroe+47 7553 5010 ( 7553 5010

Flight schedule changes : Please note that flight schedule changes are now very commonplace and it is likely your flight timings will change between booking your holiday and when you travel, possibly several times.  This is completely out of our control.  However, the vast majority of these changes are very minor and will not affect your itinerary.  If there is a flight schedule change of more than 60 minutes then we will advise you of this as soon as possible and take appropriate action.  In view of this situation we do ask you to check your flight itinerary very carefully when sent with your travel pack.  It is also advisable to check your airline’s website the morning of your departure to ensure your flight is on time.

Flight delays and cancellations : The Denied Boarding Regulations 2004 require airlines in certain circumstances to provide assistance to passengers and/or compensate in the event of denied boarding, cancellation or long flight delay.  Where your flight is delayed or cancelled, please contact the relevant airline – we have no liability to provide assistance or compensate in this event.  For further information on this regulation visit

Data protection : Please be aware that your flights are booked using a variety of flight booking systems, including the CRS (Central Reservation System) Sabre.  Sabre processes and stores personal data required to book your flights on behalf of Ski Safari which is necessary to complete your travel arrangements.  Data processing and storage are conducted in accordance with the Sabre privacy policy which is available for review at  Please also note that airlines reserve the right to pass on any personal information contained within your flight booking to the relevant authorities as required.

Section 4 - Advance Passenger Information (API), Travelling with Minors, Honeymoon Travellers

API : Airlines request Advance Passenger Information (API) before departure.  This is the collection of specific information from every passenger travelling and is required for the purposes of ensuring aviation safety and security.  Although you can provide API details at check-in if necessary, we strongly recommend that you provide it on-line in advance of travel to minimise hassle and speed up your check-in.  If your airline does not accept API details online you may be able to call them to submit your details.  Adding API details to your booking in advance is necessary if you wish to use the self-check-in kiosks or to check-in on-line.

You will need your flight booking reference to allow you to retrieve your booking, this is provided in the flight itinerary section of your travel pack email.  The following is a list of information required (most of this is displayed on your machine-readable passport):

  • Full name (last name, first name, middle name if applicable);
  • Gender;
  • Date of birth;
  • Nationality;
  • Country of residence;
  • Travel document type (normally passport);
  • Travel document number (plus expiry date and country of issue for passport); and
  • If travelling to the USA - your destination address - this information will be provided in your travel pack email.

Travelling with minors : If you are travelling with your own child/children but the other parent is not travelling with you it is essential to obtain a letter from the non-travelling parent giving their consent for the child/children to travel, as this may be requested at immigration.  This applies whether the child/children share your surname or not.  In addition, if your child/children do not share your surname it is advisable to take their birth certificate/s with you to prove that you are a legal guardian.  If you are travelling with minors who are not your own children then a letter signed by both parents giving their consent should be obtained and taken with you.

Honeymoon travellers : Newly married couples often wish to travel under their married name.  Unless you have enough time to get a full passport in your married name before travelling we do not recommend this.  It is easier and less stressful, albeit not as romantic, to book flights in a maiden name and stick with an existing passport, then make the necessary changes when you return home.

Section 5 - Passport, Visa & Health Information, FCDO Travel Advice and Driving Licence

It is important to verify that you and your party can satisfy the entry requirements to match your intended travel arrangements.  Be aware that with the introduction of machine-readable and biometric passport requirements, having incorrect documentation can prevent travel.  Also, some countries require that passengers’ passports be valid for at least 6 months after completion of their journey.  Whilst this is not the case everywhere, it’s as well to be sure.  For more information on ordering a new passport and how long it takes visit

The current passport, visa and other entry requirements for British citizens, residing in the UK, visiting the countries featured in our programme are listed below.  Please check the relevant country/countries to ensure you can satisfy the requirements of destinations you will be visiting during your trip.  Foreign nationals should make their own enquiries to ensure they can satisfy all relevant entry requirements.

Brexit : Passport requirements for British citizens travelling to the European Union (EU) and Schengen area countries:

  • You should have at least 3 months left on your passport from the day you plan to leave the country.
  • If you renewed a 10 year adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your passport’s expiry date.  These extra months will not count.

The rules apply to adult and child passports issued by the UK, Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey.

The current advice issued by the UK Government can be found at  We strongly advise you to keep an eye on the Government website pages in case the current advice and/or requirements change and check your current passport(s) validity.

Where you are required to apply for a passport, travel authorisation, visa or other permit to travel, we strongly recommend that you apply as soon as possible.  That is particularly important if you are concerned that your application might not be straightforward.  Police reports or other supporting documents may have to be obtained and submitted and occasionally an interview may be required.

Customers who arrive at the airport and do not have the correct documentation will be refused travel.  If this is the case, the rules of the ticket purchased still apply.  If the customer holds a restricted ticket which is non-changeable and non-refundable, they will be bound by the rules of the ticket and will be required to purchase a new ticket before they can travel.  As your flights are booked as part of a package, you may be asked to show confirmation of your accommodation booking at check-in or at the gate, hence we recommend that you keep your Ski Safari travel pack email to hand.

Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) travel advice : The UK FCDO issues travel advice, which is regularly updated and which relates to political, economic and other circumstances prevailing in countries throughout the world. You are strongly advised to check this advice before you book and again before you travel.  Their telephone number is 020 7008 5000 and details are also available online at

Covid-19 travel restrictions and country entry requirements : You must check the entry requirements for the country or countries you are visiting.  Details and links to further information can be found on the FCDO website at  It is your responsibility to check the testing and entry requirements for the country or countries you are visiting, as well as any rules governing behaviour and vaccination requirements once in the country.

Returning to the UK : You must check the current requirements for returning to the UK at

European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) and Entry/Exit System (EES): These systems are being introduced by the EU and are expected to be operative some time in 2025.  British citizens will have to apply for an ETIAS authorisation prior to travelling to an EU country and have biometric data collected at the border (EES).  The cost is forecast to be €7 per person age 18 and over.  Once issued, an authorisation will be valid for three years or until the expiry of the travel document used in the application.  Information can be found at

Health :  All travellers are advised to ensure that MMR and diptheria-tetanus-polio vaccinations are kept up to date.  Vaccination requirements and recommendations do change from time to time and it is important to discuss your personal requirements with your doctor.  More information can be found at

Driving licences : If you are driving a car abroad, after Brexit British citizens may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU.  If taking your own car, you may need an insurance Green Card.  You should check the current advice and find information on how to get an IDP at



Passport : For British citizen passport holders travelling under the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP, see below), a passport is required to be valid for at least one day beyond the intended departure date from the USA.

The passport must be a machine readable epassport (MRP).  An MRP has the holder’s personal details e.g. name, date of birth, nationality and passport number contained in two lines of text, numbers and chevrons at the bottom of the photo page.  An ePassport has an integrated chip containing biometric data and a digitalised photograph.

Visa : Most British citizens do not need a visa to visit the US for stays of less than 90 days as long as:

  • they have a machine readable ePassport as detailed above;
  • they haven’t been arrested for certain crimes, even if a criminal conviction didn’t result;
  • they aren’t a dual national of Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan or Syria;
  • they haven’t travelled to Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen since March 2011.

If you have travelled to Cuba, you may not be eligible for an ESTA waiver and may need to apply for a visa.  You must consult the US State Department website at to check which you will need. 

Passengers travelling to the USA that cannot comply with these requirements must obtain a valid US entry visa from a US embassy, even if they are citizens of a country within the VWP.  VWP countries are currently: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Rep. of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and UK.

Applying for a US visa can take several weeks.  Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you apply as soon as possible if you require a visa.

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA)

Visa Waiver Programme visitors are required to get authorisation to travel to the US before they travel.  You require an ESTA if you are in transit through the US, even if not clearing customs. An on-line application must be completed by/for each member of your group/family - you are required to give personal details, including on medical history, any criminal record and employment, flight details and the address of your accommodation in the USA.

Applications should be made a minimum of 72 hours before departure - we recommend that you apply as soon as possible and that you keep a printed copy of your authorisation.  If your ESTA is refused you will have to apply for a full visa.  Please note that ESTA is in addition to the Advance Passenger Information which you are required to provide to your airline.

The current cost for an ESTA application is $21.  For further information and to submit an application please go to  Beware of other, non-official websites that charge additional fees for the application.

For passengers of other nationalities please check with the US embassy well in advance of your departure to check Visa requirements, or see

On arrival in the USA an immigration officer will collect unique data from each visitor in the form of fingerprints using an inkless scanner and a digital photograph.  This will take place at the normal immigration desk as part of the entry process.  This procedure may be repeated on departure.

Health : There are no recommended vaccinations for travel to the USA.



Passport : For British passport holders a passport is required to be valid for at least one day beyond the intended departure date from Canada.

Visa : No visa is required for British passport holders.  For other nationalities please contact the Canadian High Commission to check Visa requirements

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

All visitors will need to obtain an online authorisation before flying to Canada.  If you're travelling to Canada by land or sea you don't need an eTA.  You are required to give personal details, including on medical history, any criminal record and employment.

We recommend that you apply as soon as possible and that you keep a printed copy of your authorisation.  If your eTA is refused you may have to apply for a full visa.  Please note that eTA is in addition to the Advance Passenger Information which you are required to provide to your airline and the ArriveCan process (see below).

The current cost for an eTA application is $7.  For further information and to submit an application please go to  Beware of other, non-official websites that charge additional fees for the application.

All visitors can choose to use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information within 72 hours before their entry into Canada.  Please visit to begin the process.

For passengers of other nationalities please check with the Canadian embassy well in advance of your departure to check Visa requirements, or see

Health: There are no recommended vaccinations for travel to Canada.



Passport : Foreign visitors to Japan must be in possession of a passport that will remain valid for the duration of their stay.

Visa :  UK citizens are exempt from applying for a visa for Japan providing their stay is for less than 90 days.  For other nationalities, please contact the Japanese embassy at

Health :  There are no required vaccinations for Japan.

Taking medication into Japan :  The use or possession of some common prescription and over-the-counter medicines are banned under Japan’s strictly enforced anti-stimulant drugs law. This includes Vicks inhalers, medicines for allergies and sinus problems that contain stimulants such as pseudoephedrine, e.g. Sudafed, and even some mild painkillers like those containing codeine. Customs officials may not be sympathetic if you claim ignorance.  If in any doubt, check with the Japanese Embassy before you travel.

Taking prescribed medication into Japan for personal use :  To treat an established and ongoing medical condition.  Drugs, syringes, cosmetics and medical devices for personal use can be imported up to the limit of one month’s supply, without any special permission. For amounts over the limit, or for certain substances, a special authorisation is required (Yakkan Shoumei – the Import Report of Medication). This must be applied for and obtained before travel, and taken with you to Japan – allow at least one month.

Full details from Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare:



Passport: Foreign visitors to Korea must be in possession of a passport that will remain valid for the duration of their stay.

Visa:  UK citizens are exempt from applying for a visa for Korea providing their stay is for less than 90 days.  For other nationalities, please contact the Korean immigration service at

Korea Electronic Travel Authorisation (K-ETA)

You must apply for a K-ETA to enter Korea visa-free.  You should apply for the K-ETA at least 72 hours before boarding your flight and it will be valid for two years from the date of approval.  There is a small, non-refundable charge.  Visit the official K-ETA website at  for more information and to apply.

Covid Q-code : On arrival in South Korea, you need to submit a questionnaire on your health condition.  The South Korean government encourages all arrivals to log this information in the Quarantine COVID 19 Defence (Q-CODE) system prior to travel.  See for details and to apply.

Health:  Hepatitis A vaccination usually advised.


Passport: For British passport holders a passport is required to be issue less than 10 years before the date you enter the country and valid for at least three months beyond the intended departure date.  For other nationalities please contact the Swiss embassy at

Visa: There are no visa requirements for British citizens.  Please note that certain non-EU citizens are required to obtain a Schengen visa for entry into Switzerland.  Please consult your embassy for further information or visit

Health: There are no recommended vaccinations for travel to Switzerland.  Since 1 January 2021, most people cannot use a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to get medical treatment.  You should have a comprehensive travel insurance policy, including medical cover.



Passport: For British passport holders a passport is required to be valid for at least three months beyond the intended departure date from Norway.  For other nationalities please contact the Norwegian embassy at

Visa: There are no visa requirements for British citizens.  For other nationalities please contact the Norwegian embassy at

Health: There are no recommended vaccinations for travel to Norway.  Since 1 January 2021, most people cannot use a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to get medical treatment.  You should have a comprehensive travel insurance policy, including medical cover.



Passport: For British passport holders a passport is required to be valid for at least three months beyond the intended departure date from Sweden.  For other nationalities please contact the Swedish embassy at

Visa: There are no visa requirements for British citizens.  For other nationalities please contact the Swedish embassy at

Health: There are no recommended vaccinations for travel to Sweden.  Since 1 January 2021, most people cannot use a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to get medical treatment.  You should have a comprehensive travel insurance policy, including medical cover.



Injury, off-piste skiing and avalanche : There is a risk of injury attached to winter sports, including skiing and snowboarding.  The risk can be minimised by making sure that you are fit to ski before you travel and ensuring that you ski in a controlled fashion.  If you wish to ski off-piste, outside ski area boundaries and/or in the backcountry, you do so at your own risk (please also see insurance section above).  Resorts do make every effort to ensure that the risk of avalanche on pisted ski areas is kept to a minimum but this risk, being a force of nature, can never be completely eliminated.  The risk of avalanche is greatly accentuated if you ski off-piste and you should always seek expert opinion that morning of the day’s avalanche risk and carry the necessary avalanche equipment with you.  If you suffer from any pre-existing injuries that may affect your ability to ski or snowboard, please consult your doctor before you travel.  If you are taking ski or snowboard tuition whilst in resort, please inform the ski school of any pre-existing injuries that may affect your ability to ski or snowboard.

In-flight health : For information including DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) see

Temperatures : can fall to minus 30˚C or below so make sure that you take appropriate ski clothing for these weather conditions.  

Altitude sickness : In some resorts which are very high, notably those in the US Rockies, a small number of travellers suffer from altitude sickness.  Symptoms include, headache, nausea, fatigue and shortness of breath.  Ideally, you should avoid travelling directly to super-high resorts.  If visiting Colorado, a night in Denver (1600m asl) might help - but this is not always possible, so it is important to take certain precautions:

  • Don't over-exert yourself on your first few days;
  • Drink more water than usual and avoid too much salt intake;
  • Reduce alcohol intake - this has a greater effect at altitude; and
  • Eat food that is high in carbohydrates: grains, pasta, fruit and vegetables.

If you are concerned about altitude sickness or if you have heart, circulatory or respiratory problems then we advise that you consult your GP before travelling.

Sun protection and appropriate clothing : We advise that you use a high factor sunscreen and wear UV protective ski googles/sunglasses for protection from the high levels of UV in the mountains.

Ski helmets : We strongly recommended that you and all members of your group wear a helmet on all Ski Safari holidays.  Where helmets are provided free of charge as part of a rental equipment package, provision is subject to availability on the day of collection and we cannot guarantee they will be available or that helmets provided will be of the same standard as those available in the UK.  We suggest you take your own helmets.

Section 6 - General Information on Travel

Tipping : Tipping is customary in the US and Canada and you should be prepared to tip as follows:

  • Private transfer driver – the usual tip is 15% of the cost of the transfer.
  • Help with your bags at a hotel - $1.00 per piece of baggage.
  • Restaurants and bars - the usual tip is 15-20%, of course you can give less if you receive poor service.
  • Ski instructors - this may seem unusual as you have paid for the lesson but it is customary to tip your ski instructor around 10% of the lesson cost, particularly if you are having a multi-day set of lessons with the same instructor.  Remember also to tip your children's instructor/s. 
  • Activity tour guides – e.g. snowmobiling and dog-sled tours - $20 per person.
  • Housekeeping - there is no hard and fast rule but we advise $1.00 a day per bedroom, so if you have a 2 bedroom suite for 10 days a $20.00 tip would be appropriate.  This can just be left somewhere prominently in the room or sometimes a little envelope will be provided.

Tipping in Europe is more relaxed than in North America and discretionary based on the quality of service that you receive.  You may wish to tip 10% if you receive good service.  It is not usual to tip in Japan/Korea.

Electrical items : As there is a different electrical system in North America, you may not be able to use UK electrical items such as hairdryers.  Most properties will either have hairdryers in the units or available to borrow from reception.  Mobile phone chargers do generally work as most are dual voltage but you will need a plug adaptor.

Towels and linens : All hotels and condos that we offer include all towels and linens – you do not need to take your own.  Hotel properties generally offer daily housekeeping.  Some of the more luxurious condos and apartments also offer daily housekeeping.  Most offer weekly housekeeping with a smaller mid-stay towel change and freshen up.

Scandinavia : Many resorts in Scandinavia now have a cash-free operation and only accept credit cards. There is no need to travel with local currency and if you do there will be limited places you can use cash. Visa & Mastercard are accepted everywhere, Amex is accepted in most places. You may wish to consider taking a pre-paid currency card if you do not wish to use a credit or debit card.

Self catering properties provide linen and towels in a bag and you will need to make your own bed on arrival.  Housekeeping is usually provided on departure only.  You will be expected to leave the property in a tidy state, empty bins and put crockery and utensils in the dishwasher and turn it on.  Tea towels, cleaning cloths, etc. are not always provided.

Weather and driving conditions : Please remember that in a mountain environment it is very difficult to predict the weather and conditions can change quickly.  If you are on a self-drive holiday take extra care driving on mountain roads and always check and heed local advice on road conditions.  We suggest having plenty of food and water with you in the vehicle, as well as warm clothing.

Accommodation deposits : Often hotels will make a charge to your credit/debit card on check-in to cover potential incidental charges.  This is refunded on check-out.  Check-in is usually from 4pm; check-out times vary so please ask on arrival.  Late check-out may be available, fees may apply.


All information contained in the document correct as at 05 February 2024.