- Gion District - the famous entertainment and geisha quarter, which makes for an enjoyable walk through the quaint streets lined with old wooden buildings, teahouses, and exclusive restaurants. The chances of catching a glimpse of a geisha in their zori sandals and kimono are highest here!
- Kyoto Imperial Palace - the old residence of the imperial family until 1868 when the emperor and capital were moved from Kyoto to Tokyo. The palace is located within the Kyoto Imperial Park, which can be entered freely, but the palace grounds can only be entered on guided tours held by the Imperial Household Agency - worth booking in advance!
- Kinkaku-ji Temple - also known as the Golden Pavilion, this is one of Kyoto's must-see sights. The famous Zen temple is located in northern Kyoto, and the top two floors are completely covered in gold leaf.
- Fushimi Inari Shrine - found close to the city centre, you can walk through more than 4kms of red ‘torii gates’ which have been donated to the shrine. An impressive sight and great for photo opportunities!
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple - the ‘Pure Water Temple’ is one of Kyoto’s most popular temples and, perched on a hill, affords great views of the city. Part of its charm is the walk through the steep lanes of Higashiyama past a number of trinket shops and local restaurants catering to its many visitors.
- Nishiki Market - this 400 year old market can be found within a five block long shopping street lined with more than 100 shops and restaurants. Specialising in all things food-related, this is the best place to explore the culinary delights that Kyoto is famous for.
- Pontocho - a narrow alley running along the Kamagawa River, it is a pretty and atmospheric area packed with restaurants offering a range of dining options from inexpensive yakitori to traditional Kyoto cuisine.
Every holiday is tailor-made, just for you.
To give you the most choice and best value, we create every holiday from scratch. This means that the quotation you receive is unique, based on your preferred departure dates, group size and holiday preferences.
We save you time and get the most for your money.
We sift through the prices and promotions for every airline, hotel and resort, exploring all options. We don’t publish all our prices online. Instead, we give personal quotations within 24 hours of receiving your request.