10 Reasons You'll Love Stöten
Scandinavia is our fastest-growing area, with more and more people realising what Norway and Sweden have to offer - wide open runs, friendly English-speaking locals, excellent ski schools, quiet slopes (even during the holidays) and great snow throughout the winter season.
Kat, Sam and I visited the newest addition to our Swedish portfolio last winter - the resort of Stöten (pronounced “stir-ten”) - and knew instantly that we'd discovered an absolute gem.
Here are 10 reasons why we think you should go too:
1. Escape the Crowds
The slopes are refreshingly quiet even during peak weeks, which are surprisingly free of the usual school holiday mayhem. Outside of the holiday periods you’ll have the slopes to yourself.
2. Pick and Mix: Slopes for Everyone
It's the perfect resort for building confidence, as it's easy to ski top to bottom on a variety of wide and uncrowded runs. The 43 varied slopes are all linked by an efficient lift system and cater for all abilities, although the predominantly gentle terrain makes it a particularly good choice for first time skiers and those who want to refine their technique. Best of all, you can all jump on the same lift, choose your favourite run down, and meet again at the bottom. For more seasoned skiers there are five black runs and a World Cup slope.
3. Compact & Convenient
Stötentorget is the main square (ski-in ski-out) where our three hand-picked accommodation choices are based. Here you’ll find ski rental, easy access to the lifts, the pool complex (free access with your lift pass!), restaurants and bars, the supermarket, reception and information desk. The ski school starts less than 200m away at the next square, Soltorget. No ski bus required!
4. Top-drawer Service
The resort has a simple philosophy - putting you first - and it really works. The staff want to make sure you have a great time and return. They’ve added some really nice touches like being able to help yourself to a warm drink (free of charge) at the base of the lifts. We loved the friendly service, as did our customer Louise who has previously skied Myrkdalen and Trysil. Louise tried out the resort with her family over the popular Easter break back in April:
"The resort was truly a family friendly, relaxed place. All lifts were good with few queues and staff happy high fiving all small children. Ski instructors were brilliant; we had two family ski sessions and one snowboard lesson and the instructors were patient and helpful with excellent English. The best we've experienced to date. Would definitely return."
5. Friendly Locals
The beauty of Sweden is that pretty much everyone speaks impeccable English and they love doing so. Stöten is no exception and the local workers are especially helpful and friendly - even the lift operators are polite and obliging!
6. Great Food
You’ll experience Sweden’s exceptional cuisine and stylish, candle-lit restaurants - something they do so well. The seafood and game are some of the best we’ve tasted, and you’ll find more unusual local delicacies featuring elk, reindeer and arctic char on some menus.
7. Other Activities
If you need a Plan B or just want a break from the slopes, Stöten has a great range of non-ski activities. And like the food, the activities are also within easy walking distance of the accommodation. Try your hand at everything from exhilarating snowmobile safaris, 4x4 test drives and snow-tubing through to tranquil snowshoeing walks where you can surround yourself in the local nature.
8. Superb Facilities
Wherever you stay (hotel or self-catering), access to the indoor pool and sauna facilities at Vattufjäll is included with your lift pass. It’s located right on the main square and at the base of the lifts, slopes, and within easy reach of all the accommodation. There’s a spa and wellness area for relaxing, a gym, and ten pin bowling too. There’s also a dedicated game zone under the restaurant Tyrolerladan (table tennis, air hockey, pool table, table football and arcade games).
9. The Scenery
Stöten’s soft peaks provide endless views across vast wildernesses blanketed in white. You can see a lot of Sweden’s beautiful landscapes and even over the border into Norway. It’s a fantastic destination to unwind and get away from it all.
This is very much a resort only known by the locals - 80% of the visitors here are Swedish and the remaining 20% arrive by car from the other Scandinavian countries. Those who have caught on have been enjoying the gloriously empty pistes, just don’t tell anyone else!
Experience it Yourself
For first-hand advice or a tailor-made quote, call myself, Kat or Sam on 01273 224068 Monday to Friday or use our online quotation request form.
Started skiing at 4 years old and was bitten by the bug! I completed a ski instructor’s course in Canada after university and then spent five winter seasons working in both Norway and Sweden. Came back to live in the UK in 2007.