Laax Resort Guide
Insider tips from our team
Skiing reaches 3,000 metres on the Vorab Glacier which lies directly above Laax. La Siala, above Flims, has a nice selection of easy reds and blues and Crap Sogn Gion has a variety of steeper blues, reds and blacks. The variety of mountain restaurants (17 total!) means that anything from basic mountain fare to gourmet dining is possible.
As well as the excellent skiing, Laax has made its name from a number of international ski and snowboard events. It has 4 snow parks with over 90 obstacles and kickers - boasting the world's largest halfpipe, 200m in length and 6.9 m in height. The indoor Freestyle Academy is Switzerland's only Olympic freestyle training base.
On the Mountain
- INSIDE LAAX - The award-winning app which unlocks all the fun of LAAX - you can track your kids’ progress around the mountain, check which lifts and runs are open, receive queue alerts, earn points for ski miles and challenges, book restaurants, call for the LAAX shuttle and much more. Our team love it for watching for the first lifts to open after a dump of snow and for comparing stats of course! It works seamlessly with free WiFi across the resort. Learn more and download the app.
- Ski Passes - A one-off charge of CHF5 is applied for the reusable ski pass key card. Half day ski passes are available in the afternoons from 12.15 pm. Beginner lift passes are available at a discounted price for limited parts of the mountain for both Flims and LAAX.
- 3 Snowparks at Crap Sogn Gion with the largest “Superpipe” in Europe (Snowpark Beginner, Snowpark NoName, Snowpark Plaun). Minipipe, rails, boxes, kickers, 5-20 m jumps, bar, music at the snowparks.
- Restaurants (fine dining) - For the best steak on the slopes, visit the La Vacca teepee at Plaun. They have a good selection of fine fillets which they cook to your request. This place is a meat-eaters paradise but not so great for vegetarians. Try also Ustria Startgels in Flims or Grandis Ustria da Vin in Laax for Ueli Grand's legendary cuisine.
- Restaurants (cosy and traditional) - Stalla at Alp Nagens in LAAX or Tegia La Nargs in LAAX serves a range of specialities including fondues and raclettes.
- Snow Bars - Schneebar Tegia Larnags is close enough to base station LAAX to knock back a few Gluhweins without having to ski/fall too far back to resort. Legna Bar at the base of Flims has a spacious outdoor deck for soaking up the last rays of the day with a Stange (small beer). Gustis Jagdhutte is a converted hunting lodge with great views of the resort.
Off the Mountain
- Après Ski Flims - For your first après tipple, if you are staying in Flims go straight to Legna Bar near the base station. The Arena Lodge opposite the base station in Flims also has a bar and a nightclub.
- Après Ski Laax - The Pup and Indy bars are found in the rocksresort complex at the Laax base, and the lobby bar in the Riders Hotel is a lively après ski spot.
- Restaurants - For apres-ski dining, try Tegia Larnags in Laax, The Grand in the Waldhaus Flims, or the less formal Pizzeria Pomodoro in Flims.
- Dine-around - Stay at any of the Laax owned properties (signinahotel, Peaks Place and rockresort) and take the option to add the dinner dine-around package to your stay. This allows diners to choose from six restaurants in Laax for more varied dining on a half-board basis.
- Spa - The Waldhaus Hotel in Flims has an excellent spa if you fancy easing the muscles one afternoon, or signinahotel and Peaks Place both have spas.
- Shuttle Service - free with lift ticket or guest card, runs every 20 minutes between Flims, Laax and Falera (to all base stations) during lift operation hours.
- Night Liner - runs between the villages after lift operation hours for a small charge of CHF5 per person.
Take your skiing to the next level with Laax ski school, with half and full day programmes available.
- Snow Kindergarten (under 4 years) - a gentle one-hour individual ski lesson followed by two hours in the supervised creche. The ideal introduction to snow for toddlers.
- Snow Wonderland - unique beginner group lessons for children with magician Ami Sabi telling stories, singing songs and teaching the kids about the forest, animals and mountains (while learning to ski!)
- Capricorns - group lessons for children with skiing experience, tailored to their ability, from blue to black.
- 1417_Club - social 3-5 day courses for 14 to 17-year-olds aimed at good skiers. Includes movie clips, special training sessions and tips for on and off-piste skiing.
- Freestyle Academy - 3-5 day freestyle courses based at the indoor Freestyle Academy and the parks around Crap Sogn Gion. Courses for 6-17 year-olds include lunch.
- Race Academy - 3-5 day ski racing camps for those who want to go faster!
- Adult Group Lessons - three-day courses suitable for complete beginners up to confident red/black skiers.
- 60UP_Laax - ski with like-minded skiers of a similar age with group lessons for 60+.
- Private Lessons - for maximum progression, private lessons (for 1-2 people) are tailored to your ability and what you want to learn on the mountain.
- Creches - located at the bottom stations of Flims and Laax with half or full day day care available.
- Freestyle Academy - take the little ones along to the Freestyle Academy in Laax to play in the Kids Room, equipped with trampolines, a climbing wall, blocks, crawling tunnel, toys and more. On Sundays from 09:30-12:00 the whole Freestyle Academy turns into a big playground for Flying Ants (kids aged 5 and under).
- Freestyle Academy - a huge 1000m2 indoor facility in Laax, this is the largest indoor freestyle training centre in Europe. There are trampolines, skate ramps and a huge kicker into a foam pit for skiers and snowboarders. Take part in courses which combine indoor training with practical elements out on the slopes.
- Kindercity & Sciencity - open in 2019/20, this is an interactive MINT (mathematics, informatics, science and technology) centre which inspires young and adult minds alike by providing a fascinating combination of fun and learning for all the family. At the Flims base (linked with Laax) the centre sits inside the Stenna development which also includes a hotel, shopping and a cinema.
- Sledging - two times a week at night
- Walking - 60 km of marked winter trails
- Cross country skiing
- Curling at the Waldhaus Arena
- Horse-drawn carriage rides
- Indoor swimming