Our Top Ten Reasons to Visit Mexico
1. Warm weather - North America’s winter is the perfect time to visit Mexico, with the lowest rainfall of the year and average temperatures of 25°C, while the translucent waters are a luxurious 26-27°C.
2. Delicious cuisine - Try authentic Mayan dishes made with beans and root veg, tuck into barbecued fish or fresh ceviche, slurp fruit smoothies and poolside cocktails, or work your way around an international menu of steaks, pizzas and sushi.
3. Diving and snorkelling - One of the world’s best dive locations, take your pick between dazzling reefs, technical walls and mysterious caverns, or go snorkelling with whale sharks and sailfish.
4. Ancient ruins - Mayan temples and ruins are scattered liberally in this part of Mexico. Chichen Itza and the Tulum Archaeological Site are the most famous, or you could visit, Coba, Muyil and many more.
5. Adventure sports - From jungle adventures to hiking, climbing, zip-lining, caving and deep sea fishing, there’s an unbelievable amount to do here if you’ve got any energy left after your ski week.
6. Cenotes - Formed thousands of years ago, these freshwater sinkholes are bursting with natural life. With spectacular rock formations and unfathomably clear waters, swimming or snorkelling through these caves is an experience you’ll never forget.
7. Xcaret Mexican theme park - This cultural and ecotourism theme park features everything from a Mayan village and a snorkelling reef, to a turtle nesting site and a Day of the Dead demonstration.
8. Nightlife and shopping in Playa del Carmen - Close to Cancun airport, this trendy city has great shopping, bars, restaurants and clubs. You could even base yourself here in a luxury hotel for easy access to the area’s best nightlife.
9. Huge range of accommodation - There are literally hundreds of hotel options along the coast, with something for every budget and preference, from all-inclusive hotels in Playa del Carman to boutique beachfront resorts.
10. Direct flights - You can fly here directly from several North America ski resort airports and, when it’s time to go home, it’s another easy direct flight from Cancun to the UK.